Sunday, July 8, 2012

Scans, fireworks, & racing

Most people dread Monday mornings, I on the other hand was excited for it. I got out of the house and got to go into work, the only thing that could have made it better was if team had practice. I felt so much more productive being at work than I did sitting at home. One bad thing about Monday was that I had to be on a "diet" for the day. I was scheduled for a PET scan on Tuesday so I was on a high protein, no carbs or sugars for the day. As most of you know, I love candy so it was incredibly hard not to eat any (which right now I have a ton of candy in this house!)

Tuesday morning I had to go in the get my PET scan done to make sure there was any other cancer cells or any other lymph node involvement. This scan took a total of 2 hours. I was injected with radio active surgar (radiotracer is the medical name) and had to sit in a recliner for about 45 mins. Then I was taken to this room where I had to lay on this hard board and my feet were rubber banded together so I wouldn't tap them during the scan. That was the hard part for me because I can't stand my feet being trapped to where I couldn't make a quick get a way if I needed to. I had to lay with my arms above my head with rolled up blankets between my arms and ears so my head doesn't move side to side, it was real comfortable! The scan took about 25 mins to perform, needless to say my arms were a sleep by the time I got out of there. I was now free eat all the candy I wanted to now!

I got to visit Dr. Fischer Tuesday afternoon to get my stitches out of my belly button.I was a little worried because I am not a fan of my belly button being messed with and last week I just about passed out when he was messing with my incision. This time I just sat there with my head back and didn't watch anything he was doing. I made it of there without passing out and I now had a normal looking belly button.

Wednesday for the 4th we had family and friends over for food and fireworks. The kids and adults enjoyed setting off fireworks for the majority of the afternoon. Even our retired neighbors were outside setting off some! The kids, along with my mother and Kyle's mother really enjoyed the pool since it was so hot out. We then went and watched the Wamego fireworks show. I will admit, they have a really awesome show, I would suggest anyone that hasn't seen it to go watch it sometime. It was so nice getting to spend time with our families and friends. Kyle and I are pretty lucky to have them all in our lives.

Friday morning I was scheduled for a MRI of my brain. This would be the last test I would need to do before I started chemo. This scan wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it was extremely loud. They gave me earphones to listen to music but the noises in the tube were so loud I couldn't hear the music. I went 15 minutes and then the nurse injected me with a dye and I went for another 15 minutes. As I was walking out I tried to look at the computer screen with my scans on it but I didn't know what I was looking at. And of course I tried to read the nurse's face to see if she saw something up there or not, I would not recommend this because you will automatically think the worst.

I had a hair appointment for Friday afternoon and I had really debated if I wanted to cancel it or not. I didn't want to cut my hair and then end of losing it. I ended up going it and I am so glad I did. Melanie was so nice and understanding to my situation. She is going through this battle with her mother so she had a ton of advice for me. I know I will be in good hands if I do lose my hair! I also got to meet one of the chemo nurses, who was in there getting her hair cut as well. She will be there on Monday when I go in so it was nice to talk with her and get a feel of what to expect when I'm sitting in the room getting treatment.

Dr Koeneke called late Friday afternoon to let me know my scans had came back clear, so that was a relief. We are on schedule to start chemo this Monday, which will be the longest day of the three. They will do a couple injections of the cisplatin with a round of fluids in between each. Cisplatin can be hard on the kidneys so they want to make sure I am staying hydrated during this.

I had decided I was going to race this weekend in Topeka. I am so glad I did because I sure have missed being in the car. The day didn't start off real well the the team, but it ended pretty good. I lost to dad at 6 cars in super pro and he went on to the final where he lost to Willie. JR had last at 6 cars as well in super pro, he made it the semis in th S11 and won the super class race. So overall it wasn't a bad day, but it sure was a long one. Kyle and I needed up getting home at 5 in the morning and have been pretty lazy all day.

I am a little nervous for tomorrow but I am ready to get started so I can get done with this. JR is coming up to sit with me so that will make the time go by a little faster. I will try and update everyone after this first round of chemo.




  2. Good luck with your treatments! Also we enjoyed your fireworks alot. Thanks for letting us watch too!